Monday, July 26, 2010

I'm waiting to exhale...

and she looks like she wants to inhale!



I went to the gallery I mentioned this Friday, and found myself meeting with the "front line". It wasn't the actual curator, it was his assistant. Disappointed to say the least, she let me know without mincing words that it is very difficult to get him to look anyones work. She hadn't even looked at mine yet, and already she was being negative!!!! Oh lordy! What's an artist to do? So I explained my work and handed her the disc concurrently. I kinda' figured that she would peruse the disc of photos, while I tell her the story of my work. Nope. She listened like she was intrigued, but she never slipped the disc in. I am thinking it's in the trash bin, without ever being looked at.


And then there was the nasty feminine guy in another gallery I went into. He should be bitch slapped on a daily basis for being unnecessarily mean. As I explained my work to him, he interrupted me mid-sentance to tell me "there is already several projects out there like that". I tell him I know all about Anoush, and his doll face snapshots... And I know all about Elena Dorfman, who did a book called "Still Lovers". HELLO??? Not even in the same ball park. "Still Lovers" focuses on the relationship between the dolls and their owners.... I wanted to say, "Listen art fag... My body of work is called, Objectified"

But I didn't.

I politely told him I am fully aware of every project (I'm talking strictly art here, not journalism) that involved Realdolls. And I proceed to tell him what I had started to tell him before he rudely interrupted me. I am positive he threw my disc in the garbage the moment I left. And as I leave that second gallery, I try to walk tall. In an attempt to make myself feel better, I tell myself that he is destined to a life of being an ugly homo, relegated to seedy public bathroom sex. so there!

I hope he gets punched in the face on his way home from work. Really I do


I think Friday was a total bust. I told each person I handed a disc, to "feel free to look at the work and email me with your opinions". But as you all know, no response, IS a response. It's only Monday, so I have to wait a few days before I can assume the worst. I have another appointment with a different gallery curator tomorrow. It is the gallery I want my work in most. I have my fingers crossed, and so should you!!




Oh, and I finally weighed myself again and I lost 6 lbs. I am also a bit more defined! So I have to work twice as hard at my age at keeping my body looking good. People say I look great, but how would you feel looking at 9 dolls and their perfectly shaped lithe bodies?


I'll tell you how you'd feel... like a 'Mailbox McGee'.






*the above photo is of my beautiful doll Tatyana, she is from www.anatomicaldoll.com

5 comments:

AVee said...

It sounds so stressful. And I'm sorry that people are assholes...If it means anything, I think your work is original and beautiful. They're missing out on some real art!

tchon said...

I am very dissapointed to hear that you seemingly don't get a successful pitch two times. Hopefully the third time is the charm. Maybe the other two get so swamped with mediocre offers that they failed to notice a gem when it came their way. Your toil, their loss!
Good to hear you make progress on your workout! I hope you are not overdoing yourself to compensate for the frustration - but for sure you know this best yourself and do not need the opinion of some guy like me (heck, I should get my ass in gear and do some workout myself, I need it a thousand times more than you do.)

Anonymous said...

Good luck Stacy.

glenn usdin said...

a disc? why a fucking disc?

your images are beautiful, amazing.
walk in those places with 4 prints under your arms, 4 large fucking color lifesize prints of your amazing work, prints almost as big as you.
imagine the sight of a hot blond walking in with 4 prints as tall as her.

then they won't be able to take their eyes of you and the prints. make sure one of the pics is of you with a doll. naked.

let them know that the hottest fucking photographer in NYC is in their gallery. a gal so hot she could turn gay guys straight.

don't make an appointment....make a statement.

Kincaid Blackwood said...

I think I'm going to start referring to all pompous snobs in this arena as "art fags" regardless of orientation. Ha! Noice.

At first I didn't agree, but I actually get what Glenn is saying. There's a guy curating a little show who wants to feature some my work… only he doesn't really want to feature the photography that I think defines what I do. I've been on the fence about it for a while. I have some very impressive multimedia pieces that are printed directly onto glass at 36x48 but they're not the images he wants.

I'll catch up with him this weekend and I'm going to bring a couple with me; sometimes people just need see the end product because onscreen images don't do them justice…