Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tribeca...


...is where we are moving. Not my first choice- fuck, it's not even my tenth choice (I am partial to Chelsea). But one thing we have learned, is that my husband will only live in Tribeca, and I will only live in a loft. A stalemate.

So here we are.

From Murray Hill to Tribeca.

We've handed off a check for a loft that the Real Estate agent and I have coined "The Jellybean Loft". Since this is no time to buy a home in nyc, we have decided to take an eighteen month lease to rent the loft. I am in deep love with it- but remain a skeptic. Because after all, this is nyc where nothing is set in stone. We are scheduled to move in early May...I am positive about it but guarded.

Since my last blog entry, I have been getting out there and trying to market myself. Here are the highlights:

-I marched into a magazine where I know the Editor, and plopped my portfolio down. The editor told me they are going to work with me. Yay! I am a bit skeptical- I'm Positive but guarded.

-James Graham introduced me to Eric Kroll at a gallery in the East Village. While we were there, some accountant performed the worlds lamest rap songs- I think he might have been on Ecstacy- because no lucid person would humiliate themselves the way he did.

-I signed up for two classes at ICP. One is telling stories with a photograph. Having studied film production at NYU in my youth- I learned all about symbolism...but telling an entire story in one frame was never the goal like it is with still photography.

-My husband and I met the semi retired President/CEO of RCA records in a restaurant, gave him my card and told him I am available to shoot anybody he wanted. He loved my work and assured me I would be hearing from him very soon. So yeah-I'm still a skeptic (positive but guarded).

I am bent on success.




*The above photo is Domo, shot in all natural light.

7 comments:

Meagan Sample said...

Go Stacy, Go!




andSHOOTMEDAMMIT.

Anonymous said...

Well, whaddya know! I'm visiting NYC in a few weeks for the Tribeca Film Festival (my girlfriend co-wrote a short film that got in). We'll be staying in someone's apt. in the West Village. If you're not too busy maybe we can get together, eh? Wish I could help move your dolls, but I won't be there that long. :)

Ciao,
Wayne (Dr. Goldfoot)

The_N_Word. said...

Good luck with everything Stacy!
and I looooove the shots of Domo.

zgt3ebk said...

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the recommendation on the Canon G9. Looks to be what I needed. Compact and versatile. Your work looks excellent, based on the handful of web log photos. The models look like they're comfortable and confident with you shooting - that makes a big difference.

Alan
guy at Starbucks a couple of wks back

Knightshot said...

Hi Stacy,

Wow you have a lot on your plate. The photos are nothing short of superb. The lighting and the composition as usual are Stacy Leigh - artist before photographer.

Good luck on the move... As to skepticism? Probably you will get call...with a day's notice and in the middle of your move....

Cheers,
Dave aka knightshot

dfklldoind said...

Stacy,

When I visit your blog or MM port..I always look at the image before I do any reading. I want to challeng myself...to try to see if I can tell if your shooting Human Form OR a Real Doll. I cant fucking tell most of the time...your killing me!! This is a compliment..as you cause me to really THINK when I digest your photos.... You have an incredible look to your photography...that I like very much.

cheers
bt

Anonymous said...

accountants know how to party.

haha